Yang-Kyun Park, PhD
Massachusetts General Hospital
Francis H Burr Proton Therapy Center
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114
Academic Appointments and Work Experiences
09/2014-present Instructor/Assistant biophysicist, Department of Radiation Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital, MA
03/2009–09/2009 Medical physicist (part-time), Department of Radiation Oncology/Cyber Knife center, SoonChunHyang University Hospital, Seoul, Korea
10/2009-11/2012 Staff physicist/Research professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul, Korea
01/2013-08/2014 Postdoctoral research fellow, Department of Radiation Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital, MA
Education and Degrees
Ph.D., Interdisciplinary Program in Radiation Applied Life Science, August 2011, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
M.Sc., Interdisciplinary Program in Radiation Applied Life Science, February 2007, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
B.Sc., Nuclear Engineering, February 2005, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
American Board of Radiology (ABR) – Therapeutic Radiologic Physics, ABR ID: P6521 (Effective since 2015)
Publication in Peer-Reviewed Journals
1) Y.K. Park, G.C. Sharp, J. Phillips, and B.A. Winey, "Proton dose calculation on scatter-corrected CBCT image: Feasibility study for adaptive proton therapy." Med Phys 42, 4449-4459 (2015) [Featured article & cover page]
2) K.Y. Eom, E.K. Chie, K. Kim, J.H. Chang, T.R. Koo, J.I. Park, Y.G. Park, S.J. Ye, and S.W. Ha, “ Pilot study on interfractional and intrafractional movements using surface infrared markers and EPID for patients with rectal cancer treated in the prone position.” Br J Radiol, 20150144 (2015)
3) Y.K. Park and G.C. Sharp, "Gain Correction for an X-ray Imaging System With a Movable Flat Panel Detector and Intrinsic Localization Crosshair." Technol Cancer Res Treat, 1533034615576829 (2015)
4) H.J. Kim, S. Kim, Y.K. Park, J.I. Kim, J.M. Park, and S.J. Ye, “Multileaf collimator tongue-and-groove effect on depth and off-axis doses: A comparison of treatment planning data with measurements and Monte Carlo calculations,” Med Dosim (2015)
5) T. Kim, S. Kim, Y.K. Park, K. Youn, P. Keall, and R. Lee, “Motion management within two respiratory-gating windows: feasibility study of dual quasi-breath-hold (DQBH) technique in gated medical procedures,” Phys Med Biol 59(21), 6583-6594 (2014)
6) Y.K. Park, S. Park, H.G. Wu, and S. Kim, “A new plan quality index for dose painting radiotherapy,” J Appl Clin Med Phys 15(4), 316-325 (2014)
7) H.J. Kim, A.R. Chang, Y.K. Park, and S. J. Ye, “Dosimetric effect of CT contrast agent in CyberKnife treatment plans,” Radiat Oncol 8, 244 (2013)
8) Y.K. Park, T. Son, H. Kim, J. Lee, W. Sung, I. H. Kim, K. Lee, Y. B. Bang, and S. J. Ye, “Development of real-time motion verification system using in-room optical images for respiratory-gated radiotherapy,” J Appl Clin Med Phys 14(5), 25-42 (2013).
9) J.I. Kim, J.B. Chung, Y.K. Park, J.Y. Song, S.K. Kim, S.H. Ahn, C.H. Choi, W.H. Choi, B. Cho, S.G. Ju, S.J. Kim, and S.J. Ye, "A multi-institutional study for tolerance and action levels of IMRT dose quality assurance measurements in Korea," J Appl Clin Med Phys 14(2), 24-37 (2013).
10) J.W. Choi, C.M. Park, J.M. Goo, Y.K. Park, W. Sung, H.J. Lee, S.M. Lee, J.Y. Ko, and M.S. Shim, “C-Arm Cone-Beam CT-Guided Percutaneous Transthoracic Needle Biopsy of Small (<= 20 mm) Lung Nodules: Diagnostic Accuracy and Complications in 161 Patients,” Am J Roentgenol 199(3), W322-30 (2012).
11) Y.K. Park, S. Kim, H. Kim, I.H. Kim, K. Lee, and S.J. Ye, "Quasi-breath-hold technique using personalized audio-visual biofeedback for respiratory motion management in radiotherapy," Med Phys 38, 3114-3124 (2011).
12) H. Kim, Y.K. Park, I.H. Kim, K. Lee, and S.J. Ye, "Development of an optical-based image guidance system: technique detecting external markers behind a full facemask," Med Phys 38, 3006-3012 (2011).
13) Y.K. Park, S.J. Ye, I.H. Kim, W.R. Wee, M.K. Kim, H.S. Han, K.J. Son, and U.J. Park, "Potential use of P-32 ophthalmic applicator: Monte Carlo simulations for design and dosimetry," Med Phys 35, 1854-1858 (2008).
- Image guided radiation/proton therapy
- Adaptive proton therapy using daily CBCT imaging
- GUI programming and open source programming (QT, plastimatch, RTK, ITK,etc.)